Re: [Condor-devel] Reserved swap space issue

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:47:00AM +0000, Matt Hope wrote:
> As a suggestion for the condor dev team - is it worth replacing any
> and all uses of int/unsigned int with long wherever it is used to
> refer to a size in bytes...
>
> It strikes me that any change from signed to unsigned is only delaying
> the inevitable by months given the adoption of 64bit OS's.

Usually this type of problem only shows up when a previously 32 bit port
goes to 64 bits, and the code in question only had compiled for the
specific 32 bit port. Our codebase, in general, supports 64 bit OSes,
and the circumstances under which this shows up are actually quite small.

There are only a few places where a file size in bytes comes up in the
codebase, the file transfer code (which already does the right thing),
log size/rotation calculations, and condor_sysapi. The standard universe
deals with it as well, but that is much harder to get right.

So, I'd say that a large code cleaning would not only take a while (you
have to find all of the places that deal with that type of information
and they might not be obvious) but will probably introduce interesting
bugs if not tested properly.

So, in short, if you're willing to provide patches for this type of thing,
then make sure they are small so we can see the extant of them.

-pete