Re: [Condor-devel] Another quill question

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 01:27:25PM -0500, Daniel Forrest wrote:
> Setting the environment works fine for the local schedd, but if I am
> doing "condor_q -name <name>" it doesn't.  I'm not sure if this should
> be considered a feature or a bug?  One could easily argue that the
> owner of the schedd gets to decide the access method.

Yeah, if you do a remote query, or with -name, condor_q contacts the
collector and finds the ad (either a quill or schedd ad) with that name,
and if it is a quill ad contacts the db, and if it is a schedd ad,
digs out the quill contact information in it and _still_ contacts the db.

With -name, there is no method that allows you to directly ask the
schedd instead of having the request be forwarded to the db. Ameet and
I spoke about this, and in the interest of getting quill out the door,
put it on the short list of things to do next. Basically, there will be
a -direct option to condor_q which will only find the -name requested
and not try to transparently adjust the query to another location.

For now, the only real workaround is to turn off the db when using -name if you
really want to talk to the schedd. Of course, this is a bad workaround....
but it should be fixed soon.

-pete