Re: [Condor-devel] Questions about quill

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 05:35:51PM -0500, Daniel Forrest wrote:
> I'm asking here because every time I indicate I have access to the
> source code it generates inquiries on the other lists.
>
> I know Quill is very new, so it's not surprising it has a few bugs.
>
> 1.) "condor_q -long" (no constraints) almost always exits with a
>     segmentation fault.  Same thing if the constraint is a username.
>     It only seems to work when constrained to a jobid or clusterid.
>
> 2.) "condor_q jobid1 jobid2" only displays jobid2.  On the other hand,
>     "condor_q user1 user2" works as expected.

Thanks for letting us know, we'll track that down.

> 3.) Why does condor_quill track the job_queue.log the way it does?
>     It would be much more reliable if it kept a file descriptor open
>     so that it wouldn't lose any information in the small window when
>     the file is compressed.  Logic similar to "tail --follow=name"
>     would be much more robust.  The code seems overly complex because
>     of how it determines if the file has been rewritten.

Yeah, we know. A lot of it is wonkiness in the schedd - Dan B has changed
the way the schedd compresses the job_queue to make it easier on quill, so
I think the next release will have much simplified code to follow the job
queue. (Dan, did you implement the new record type too?)

-Erik