[Gems-users] about the NetworkMessage, RequestMsg, ResponseMsg, TriggerMsg and CacheMsg classes

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:08:28 -0400
From: sheng ma <mashnudt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] about the NetworkMessage, RequestMsg, ResponseMsg, TriggerMsg and CacheMsg classes
Hi, I find that the there are many types of messages in the Ruby system, including NetworkMessage, RequestMsg, ResponseMsg, TriggerMsg and CacheMsg. The parent class of NetworkMessage, TriggerMsg and CacheMsg is the Message class. And the parent class of RequestMsg and ResponseMsg is the NetworkMessage class.
Is anyone know about the difference between these different types of messages?
1. I guess that since the  the parent class of RequestMsg and ResponseMsg is the NetworkMessage class, they are need to be sent into the memory interconnection network. And TriggerMsg and CacheMsg are not need to be sent into the network. Is it right?
2. I noticed there is only one place using the TriggerMsg message, when the L1 cache control receives all ACKs. But there are many places for the use of CacheMsg, can anyone tell me what is the function of these messages?

I am using the MOESI_directory coherence protocol.

Thank you!

Bests,
Sheng