[Gems-users] creating checkpoint with more than 8 cores (x86) with simics 4.2

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:42:19 -0600
From: Byn Choi <bynchoi1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] creating checkpoint with more than 8 cores (x86) with simics 4.2
Hello,

First I apologize for posting a non-GEMS question on the GEMS mailing list. This is strictly simics question, but I'm wondering if someone one this list has encountered this issue before and found a workaround/ fix.

I am trying to create a checkpoint with more than 8 cores using simics 4.2, but it fails saying something like the following.

simics> $disk_image="gentoo.craff"
simics> $cpu_class="x86-hammer"
simics> $num_cpus=16
simics> $freq_mhz=2000
simics> $memory_megs=4096
simics> run-command-file targets/x86-440bx/tango-common.simics
Failed running 'create-processor-x86-hammer $system.motherboard.processor + $count freq_mhz = $freq_mhz cpi = $cpi use_vmp = $use_vmp': unknown command 'create-processor-x86-hammer'.
[x86-440bx-pci-system.include:49] error in 'exec' command
[tango-common.simics:7] error in 'run-command-file' command
[tango-common.simics:2] error in 'run-command-file' command
Error - interrupting script.
simics>

Trying the same with "num_cpus=8" works without a hitch.

I do have a bunch of checkpoints with 16/32/64 cores created using simics 3.0, but none of them were usable with simics 4.2 setup - it seems to fail during a conversion process due to agp subsystem (I guess simics 4.2's x86-440bx target does not use agp graphics subsystem anymore). This is why I'm trying to recreate those checkpoints using simics 4.2

Has anyone encountered this issue before?

Thanks,

---
Byn Choi
Ph.D. Candidate in Computer Science