[Gems-users] Update Coherence Protocol Implementation in Ruby

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:34:21 -0500
From: Malek Musleh <malek.musleh@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Update Coherence Protocol Implementation in Ruby
Hello,

My name is Malek Musleh and I am new to Ruby. I am looking at
implementing hybrid coherence implementation of Invalidate/Update
Coherence Protocol using Ruby/SLICC, and was wondering if anyone else
has previously done this. I came across this thread:

https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/gems-users/2007-June/msg00044.shtml

which regards the implementation of the Dragon Update Protocol in
Ruby. But I was wondering if an implementation had been done of an
Update Protocol (such as dragon) or if anyone else since then has in
fact done it.

I was looking at maybe starting simple, such as modifying the
MI_EXAMPLE Protocol, but in some sense, that may not be as efficient
as just starting out on one of the MOESI/MESI_CMP_directory protocols
(which would be the eventual goal).

As noted in that thread, there are a lot of issues to consider with
memory consistency when using an Update Protocol, and the fact that I
am using M5-ALPHA ISA that supports the relaxed consistency model
makes it a little more tricky.

Can anyone offer suggestions or indications to whether or not this has
been done before, and any advice in general for specific subtelties to
consider with the Ruby Model.

Thanks.

Malek