[Gems-users] Cache Coherence Power in Opal/WATTCH

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:22:24 -0500
From: Ragavendra <natar@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Cache Coherence Power in Opal/WATTCH
 Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding how power consumed due to cache coherence operations is accounted for in Opal. I searched the mailing list prior to posting and did not find any thread on this topic. I hope I'm not repeating any question.

The power.C file in opal/power/ includes extra bits in the tag of a cache line for power calculations:

tcolsb = a * (tagsize + 1 + 6) * ntspd/ntwl;

I'm assuming 6 bits are for the state information and 1 is for the owner information stored in each cache line. Is this correct? The 7 extra bits are added to both L1 and L2 cache tags, although the L1 cache lines don't have as many states or owner information. Does this overestimate the power consumed?

Also, where is the information about L1 sharers kept in L2 cache? I did not find any change in the tag or data fields of L2 cache to account for this. Where is the power consumed by these bits counted?

--
Ragavendra Natarajan,
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering