[Gems-users] Why the link utilization in ruby network is so low ?

Date: 15 Mar 2010 16:14:46 -0500
From: ubaid001@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Gems-users] Why the link utilization in ruby network is so low ?

Hi,

I am running some traffic simulations in "ruby".  I found that the link
utilization numbers (in flits/cycle) reported by ruby were less than 5% for the seven SPEC OMP2001 benchmarks (applu, apsi, art, equake, mgrid, swim, wupwise).
I think a link utilization number around 20% to 30% should be reasonable.
These benchmarks were simulated on a CMP system configured with 4 processors and 4 shared L2 banks. In ruby, the "Garnet fixed 5-stage pipeline"
interconnection network model was used.  Besides, the parameter
"OPAL_RUBY_MULTIPLIER" was set to be 1.

Suhail