[Gems-users] SLICC: explanation for deallocating certain blocks

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:03:03 +1300
From: "Fuad Tabba" <fuad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] SLICC: explanation for deallocating certain blocks
Hi,

Looking at the SLICC coherence protocol file MESI_CMP_filter_directory-L1cache.sm (the one used for LogTM-SE and ATMTP) , I notice that   transition(IS_S, Nack_all, I) transition(IS_E, Nack_all, I) transition(IM_M, Nack_all, I): all of these perform a  ff_deallocateL1CacheBlock . What's the reasoning behind deallocating the cache block there? Does it matter if the cacheblock doesn't get deallocated, I mean its state will still be I after all, and it's not really not present, it's just invalid...

Thanks.

Cheers,
/fuad