Re: [Gems-users] What kind of state will be if the data is in IGS/IGM state and receives an INV message from dir?

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:20:05 -0500
From: "Mike Marty" <mike.marty@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] What kind of state will be if the data is in IGS/IGM state and receives an INV message from dir?
If I recall correctly, the IGM state means that the first-level directory has issued a request to the second-level directory.  But since the second-level request has not yet been ordered at the second-level directory, it is still possible to receive invalidation request ( an L2 S state transitions to IGM when the first-level directory sees a GETX).  The first-level directory just acknowledges the invalidate, but stays in IGM/IGS because eventually its request will be handled.  If you set IGM/IGS to I, then the protocol will not work.

--Mike