Re: [Gems-users] Adapting SMP directory protocol to model private L2 CMP protocol

Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:15:14 -0500
From: "Mike Marty" <mike.marty@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Adapting SMP directory protocol to model private L2 CMP protocol

I want to evaluate a private L2 CMP directory protocol in GEMS. Looking at some of the previous discussion it seems that lowering the network latencies and using an SMP protocol could mimic a private L2 CMP protocol.

My concern is that this would not model an on-chip directory cache. If I specify the directory link latency to be 200 cycles (to model off-chip memory), every check of the sharing vectors would incur an off-chip 200 cycle access.

You can add a directory cache to MOESI_SMP_directory-dir.sm.  Just modify the actions to check for a directory cache hit and use a different latency value if you hit.

Am I correct? How have private L2 configurations been previously evaluated inside Gems?

Yes they have.

With private L2s, you can't really store directory state in the L2 tags.

--Mike