Re: [Gems-users] flushing L1 caches

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:39:30 +0100
From: Mladen Nikitovic <mladen@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] flushing L1 caches

Hi,

Flushing of both I- and D-cache seems to go fine at the moment (sets first then assoc). There was an error in the second loop where variable i was used instead of j.

However, it looks like the actions triggered by the protocol causes problems. INVALIDATIONS are associated with the L1_Replacement Event and it seems to me that a deallocation action is triggered from there. But, as you can see from the output below, something had gone wrong between sending the messages through the mandatory queue and the replacement event that is calling the deallocation function. From the code it appears as the line address has been changed, but I haven't written any code that changes it. Any ideas?

flushDL1caches: going through row 244
flushDL1caches: going through row 245
flushDL1caches: going through row 246
flushDL1caches: going through row 247
flushDL1caches: going through row 248
flushDL1caches: going through row 249
flushDL1caches: going through row 250
flushDL1caches: going through row 251
flushDL1caches: going through row 252
flushDL1caches: going through row 253
flushDL1caches: going through row 254
flushDL1caches: going through row 255
flushIL1caches: Dcache flush done
failed assertion 'isTagPresent(address)' at fn void CacheMemory<ENTRY>::deallocate(const Address&) [with ENTRY = L1Cache_Entry] in system/CacheMemory.h:451 failed assertion 'isTagPresent(address)' at fn void CacheMemory<ENTRY>::deallocate(const Address&) [with ENTRY = L1Cache_Entry] in system/CacheMemory.h:451
At this point you might want to attach a debug to the running and get to the
crash site; otherwise press enter to continue
PID: 18157

This is the implementation of isTagPresent:

// tests to see if an address is present in the cache
template<class ENTRY>
inline
bool CacheMemory<ENTRY>::isTagPresent(const Address& address) const
{
 assert(address == line_address(address));
 Index cacheSet = addressToCacheSet(address);
 int location = findTagInSet(cacheSet, address);

 if (location == -1) {
   // We didn't find the tag
   DEBUG_EXPR(CACHE_COMP, LowPrio, address);
   DEBUG_MSG(CACHE_COMP, LowPrio, "No tag match");
   return false;
 }
 DEBUG_EXPR(CACHE_COMP, LowPrio, address);
 DEBUG_MSG(CACHE_COMP, LowPrio, "found");
 return true;
}

Is there a possibility that the cache contents can change between the flushing (sending the messages) and the actual replacement action performed by the protocol? I currently cannot see how that would be possible but maybe you can.

/M

Dan Gibson wrote:
It looks like how I would implement the same functionality, though I don't know which dimension -- sets or assoc -- comes first in the m_cache member var -- maybe the indexes are backwards? (I haven't checked the definition)

Regards,
Dan