[Gems-users] Instruction statistics

Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:03:27 +0200
From: Nikolas Galanis <nikolaos@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Instruction statistics
Hi all,

I need to gather some statistics for every instruction. Statistics include whether the instruction got an I-TLB of D-TLB miss, an L1 iCache or dCache miss, an L2 Cache miss etc. I imagined that the best moment to gather these statistics would be just before each instruction retires. So I added some variables inside the dynamic_inst_t class which I update whenever such an event takes place.

However, by the time the instruction reaches the retire stage, none of these variables is set. I believe that this happens because every time such an event takes place the instruction is squashed and reissued. Am I right in what I am saying?

Is there a way to gather such execution statistics for each instruction?

Thanks in advance,

Nikolas