Re: [Gems-users] Difference between Opal and Simics Driver

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:25:41 -0500
From: Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Difference between Opal and Simics Driver
Opal is a cycle-accurate model of an out-of-order issue processor. The Simics driver is a one-instruction-per-cycle processor model (i.e., in-order).

The Simics model is faster, but does not accurately model a modern processor. Opal is much slower, more accurate.

Opal only supports the SPARC ISA. Simics (with Ruby) can be either the SPARC or the x86 ISA.

...Greg

avadh patel wrote:
hello everyone,

I have recently started using gems. At currently
I am successfully able to run ruby and opal and
generate some results for splash bechmarks.

As per my knowledge, we can run ruby with either
opal or native simics. I want to know what are the
major difference/limitations of ruby simulation when
its run using simics instead of opal.

Thanks in advance.

- Avadh