Re: [Gems-users] Ruby source code

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:29:31 +0200
From: "Daniele Bordes" <daniele.bordes@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Ruby source code
2006/6/13, Bradford Beckmann <beckmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Do you have a question about a particular function?

In general, yes, the functions in DNUCAPredictor determine where to
search, evict and promote blocks in the NUCA cache.

Brad

Thank you very much.  Well, first of all, I would like to understand
exactly what is the goal of the function NetDest
DNUCAPredictor::findBlock(const Address& addr)
At first glance, it seems to me that this function returns an object
of NetDest class (a sort of collection of Network Element), and this
object seems to be the set of L2_banks in which the block may be....
but I' not sure.  In particular, I have two questions about this
function:

1)  The cycle is repeated exactly numberOfL1Cache times; in practice,
it seems to me that every bank in the bank-set is considered, and a
bank is added to "dest"  if the block is in the bank (am I right?)...
so, does this function "support" some kind of "replication" in L2
Cache? In other words, may a line of cache be stored in more than one
location in L2_cache?

2)  Could you explain the meaning of the instruction
"dest.add(map_L1CacheMachId_to_L2CacheLocalBank(addr, m_machId))", in
particular the meaning of the parameter m_machId ?

I'm very sorry to be a nuisance.  Thank you very much.