Re: [Gems-users] How to copy files to the simulated machine

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:46:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dave <zhu_dave@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] How to copy files to the simulated machine
Thank you both for the information!

Actually, I've noticed some warnings about SCSI commands and then tried to see if it would work. And it worked! So, it takes a while I guess.

Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've noticed that the files are not immediately available. We generally
insert the cd, simulate for a while, and then access the files. (We
genereally see warnings about certain SCSI commands being invalid or
unrecognized -- that's a clue that the simulated system is trying to
access the CD.)

Here's a script that we used to create a checkpoint with the CDROM
mounted and ready to read. The 400M cycles was chosen by a student -- I
have no idea if you really need to wait that long. It doesn't really
take very long, though, because this is done in Simics functional mode,
before the Ruby module is loaded.

load-module file-cdrom
new-file-cdrom splash2.iso
cd25B_2_6.insert splash2

@def end_sim():
wait_for_hap_idx("Core_Step_Count",
SIM_step_count(SIM_proc_no_2_ptr(0)) + 400000000)
SIM_write_configuration_to_file("base-1p_with_benchmarks")
SIM_quit(0)

@start_branch(end_sim)

continue

Never tried the volume management trick.

...Greg