[Gems-users] How to trace a specific program

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:03:10 -0400
From: Calvin <calvincv@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] How to trace a specific program
Hi,

I am trying to collect the instruction and memory trace for a specific
program. What is the best way to do this with Ruby and Opal? I tried
to instrument the program with magic instruction and use
"ruby0.tracer-output-file ". But I am not sure if the "tracer" module
provided in SIMICS is accurate with Opal.

Also, could you help clarify if the stats reported by Ruby and Opal
can count only the execution of the instrumented program? I am aware
that in SIMICS one needs to monitor the context switch to filter out
the execution of other scheduled process. Or one can use the process
tracker in SIMICS 3.0. Does GEMS support such functionality?

Thanks in advance!
Calvin