Re: [Gems-users] question about Ruby x86 conversion patch

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:17:56 -0500
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] question about Ruby x86 conversion patch
Ayu,

Gems is known to run on common _host_ architectures, like x86 and SPARCv9, but was originally intended to _simulate_ only v9. The x86 conversion patch converts Ruby (GEMS' memory timing model) to x86 operation. The patch does not change Opal, which does _not_ work for x86 target machines.

You should definitely apply the conversion patch if you intend to use Ruby with the Dredd target. I would expect Ruby to cause a segmentation fault if you do not apply the patch. Bear in mind that the conversion patch is currently set up for the Enterprise target, however. It is a simple matter to change this setting:
Modify scripts/prepare_simics_home.py:
Change instances of "enterprise" to "dredd"

Regards,
Dan