Re: [Gems-users] How to break down cycles

Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:46:40 -0600 (CST)
From: Luke Yen <lyen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] How to break down cycles
Hello:

  The easiest method that I would go about doing this would be to do this
inside Opal.  All dynamic instructions have a m_priv flag (which can be
queried using getPrivilegeMode()), and in addition the priviledge mode bit
is set in the pstate, which is part of the fetch abstract_pc_t object.  An
example of reading the priviledge bit is as follows:

  (m_fetch_at->pstate >> 2) & 0x1;

  Which will return 1 if the PC is currently fetching priviledged
instructions, and 0 if in user mode.

  Idle cycles can be calculated by storing some info when the front-end
stalls and resumes fetch, if that is what you meant by idle cycles.

   Luke