Re: [DynInst_API:] Profiling OS/kernel code using DynInst

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 11:02:29 -0600
From: Bill Williams <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Profiling OS/kernel code using DynInst
On 02/13/2015 10:54 AM, Rakesh Kumar wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to know if DynInst can be used to profile/instrument OS/kernel
code in additional to the user level code. What I want to do is get some
statistics, say hottest basic blocks, for an application but not only
for user level code but also for OS/kernel code included.

I know PIN can instrument only user level code. But I was curious if
DynInst can instrument OS/Kernel code or not. If it cannot can somebody
suggest any other tool that can.

Thanks,
Rakesh

PS: I tried searching the answer in archives unsuccessfully.

Dyninst is purely user-level. We had a tool, KernInst, that worked at the kernel level but work on that has been idle for years. SystemTap provides an integrated kernel-space/user-space instrumentation interface, using Dyninst for its user-space needs, but it may operate at a coarser granularity than you want.

--
--bw

Bill Williams
Paradyn Project