Re: [DynInst_API:] Build error dyninst-8.2 -> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLINK_PRIVATE

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 13:17:57 -0500
From: Bill Williams <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Build error dyninst-8.2 -> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLINK_PRIVATE
On 06/19/2014 01:15 PM, Matthew LeGendre wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014, Josh Stone wrote:
On 06/19/2014 10:03 AM, Matthew LeGendre wrote:

Jim,

I believe this is a known issue that's fixed in the latest Dyninst 8.2
branch.  It's an issue with certain cmake versions.  You could update
Dyninst, or I belive using this cmake install on rzmerl avoids the
problem:

/collab/usr/global/tools/cmake/chaos_5_x86_64_ib/cmake-2.8.12.2/bin

Do you have info on which cmake versions have trouble with this?  I can
just raise the version in cmake/shared.cmake for which we enable it.

I just tried both cmake 2.8.7 and 2.8.6 though, and it worked fine,
automatically with and without LINK_PRIVATE as expected.

Bill already fixed the bug in the Dyninst 8.2 branch.  I'm guessing that
Jim's just running with a Dyninst that's a month or two behind.

I believe the bug was that Dyninst's cmake files used LINK_PRIVATE if
the cmake version was >= 2.8.  Except LINK_PRIVATE became a feature in
CMake 2.8.7.  So if one tried to build Dyninst with a cmake version >=
2.8.0 and < 2.8.7 it threw this error.

Actually, Josh was the one who fixed the 2.8.0-2.8.7 hole...but the point remains, the tip of the 8.2 branch should be fixed with respect to this, and if it's not, we'd like to know what CMake version/other context is responsible.

-Matt