Re: [DynInst_API:] Build error dyninst-8.2 -> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLINK_PRIVATE

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 11:15:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Matthew LeGendre <legendre1@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Build error dyninst-8.2 -> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lLINK_PRIVATE

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014, Josh Stone wrote:
On 06/19/2014 10:03 AM, Matthew LeGendre wrote:

Jim,

I believe this is a known issue that's fixed in the latest Dyninst 8.2
branch.  It's an issue with certain cmake versions.  You could update
Dyninst, or I belive using this cmake install on rzmerl avoids the
problem:

/collab/usr/global/tools/cmake/chaos_5_x86_64_ib/cmake-2.8.12.2/bin

Do you have info on which cmake versions have trouble with this?  I can
just raise the version in cmake/shared.cmake for which we enable it.

I just tried both cmake 2.8.7 and 2.8.6 though, and it worked fine,
automatically with and without LINK_PRIVATE as expected.

Bill already fixed the bug in the Dyninst 8.2 branch. I'm guessing that Jim's just running with a Dyninst that's a month or two behind.

I believe the bug was that Dyninst's cmake files used LINK_PRIVATE if the cmake version was >= 2.8. Except LINK_PRIVATE became a feature in CMake 2.8.7. So if one tried to build Dyninst with a cmake version >= 2.8.0 and < 2.8.7 it threw this error.

-Matt