[DynInst_API:] Snippets that need libs that the mutatee does not reference

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 18:30:24 +0000 (UTC)
From: Wayne Motycka <wmotycka@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DynInst_API:] Snippets that need libs that the mutatee does not reference
The snippet examples seem to fixate on opening file handles destinations for
output, but given the high cost of doing disk I/O, I'd like to instead send
these messages down a TCP/IP socket.  From my limited view I believe that I'd
need to somehow attach the appropriate libraries to the binary and then perform
the findFunction() mechanism to locate the socket() and other functions
necessary to open/write/close the socket in the snippet.

The question is, am I correct in my expectations (needing to attach libs), and
more importantly, is there a better mechanism that would give me low performance
cost that would allow me to emit information from a snippet?

FYI, I'm trying to implement a execution path tracing tool that will indicate
the edges/blocks traversed/visited in a way that identifies what
file:function:edge/block was executed and simple counters aren't really
enough to maintain order of edge traversal.

-Wayne