[DynInst_API:] Stackwalking in a mutatee

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 15:50:51 +0800
From: Marc Brünink <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DynInst_API:] Stackwalking in a mutatee
Dear all,

short version:
What is the appropriate way to walk the stack in a mutatee?

long version:
StackwalkerAPI implements basic stack walking. Some code in Dyninst implements the additional tweaks necessary to handle the complexity added by instrumentation. Thus, we can still perform a third party stackwalk of instrumented code.

But how do I perform a first party stackwalk in the mutatee? The problem is that only the mutator knows about all this additional Dyninst features, e.g. which code got relocated, etc.

I suppose this is a very common problem. However, at the moment I fail to find a nice, clean, and easy way to walk the stack in the mutatee.
Before I dive into this in more detail, let me ask a simple question:

Is there an obvious way to walk the stack in the mutatee which I just don't know about? Or do I have to manually make sure the FrameSteppers etc. in my mutatee are up-to-date?

Marc