HTC Operating System Upgrade; Changes to Software

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:32:12 +0000
From: chtc-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: HTC Operating System Upgrade; Changes to Software

Dear CHTC Users,

This email is for users of our high throughput computing (HTC) system. As mentioned in our April 1 email, the HTC system is undergoing an operating system update from CentOS Stream 8 to CentOS Stream 9.

Currently, HTC jobs that do not use containers or otherwise specify an operating system version are assigned to run on CentOS Stream 8. On May 1, this default will change to CentOS Stream 9

Actions to take

  • Please read through the information and instructions provided here: https://chtc.cs.wisc.edu/uw-research-computing/htc-el8-to-el9-transition.
  • If needed, users should begin testing their jobs on the CentOS Stream 9 machines as soon as possible, as well as preparing to transition their software installations. If you are unable to test or transition your jobs to CentOS Stream 9 before May 1st, there is an option to opt into CentOS Stream 8 for the short term.

This transition will likely impact many HTC users as some software packages may need to be recompiled. The guide listed above has resources on how to do this. We also hope to organize a few sessions in May to help users transition their jobs to the new operating system.

We are also changing our software recommendations for common tools like R and Python to use containers. On Monday, our old Python, R, and Matlab guides will be archived and replaced by a new overview page. We will send an email about this update on Monday.

Please contact us at chtc@xxxxxxxxxxx stop by office hours with any questions.

Best,

The Facilitation Team

--

Christina Koch (she/her)

Lead Research Computing Facilitator

Center for High Throughput Computing (University of Wisconsin – Madison); OSG and PATh services

Email: ckoch5@xxxxxxxx // Calendar: https://go.wisc.edu/clk-calendar