New requirement syntax for GPU jobs on HTC system

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 20:30:25 +0000
From: chtc-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: New requirement syntax for GPU jobs on HTC system

Dear CHTC GPU users,

This message is for users of our high throughput computing (HTC) system who are using GPUs in their jobs.

Due to recent updates in HTCondor, specific GPU qualities like GPU Memory and GPU compute “capability” are being utilized by HTCondor in a different manner. If your jobs require specific GPU qualities like these, the mechanism and syntax for requesting them in jobs has changed

See our updated GPU Jobs guide for more details: GPU Jobs Guide

The old syntax for requesting certain GPU qualities using a “requirements” statement in the submit file will continue to work, with plans to phase it out by fall 2022. The old syntax may limit the number of servers your jobs match to, so we recommend transitioning to the new syntax to maximize the GPU capacity available to your jobs.

If your jobs simply request any GPUs (no additional requirements), then nothing needs to be changed in your job submission.

We are happy to answer any questions about this transition. As always, we can be reached at chtc@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Best,

Your CHTC team

--

Research Computing Facilitator

Center for High Throughput Computing | University of Wisconsin - Madison