Changes coming to Python, R, Matlab process for HTC jobs

Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 12:00:35 -0500
From: chtc-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Changes coming to Python, R, Matlab process for HTC jobs

Greetings CHTC users,Â

This message is for users of our high throughput computing (HTC) system.Â

We are changing our process for creating Python and R software installations for use on the HTC system, as well as slightly modifying our Matlab compilation process.Â

For Python and R, the general idea for handling your software will be the same - you will use a tar.gz file (or files) that contain Python or R and a copy of packages you need. There will be two changes to the current process:Â

  • CHTC will now provide a ready-to-go copy of Python or R in certain versions; the software preparation process will now only require adding the packages you need.Â

  • Python and R packages will be installed to a separate folder from the default Python/R installations and youâll be able to add packages to this folder or create separate folders for different groups of packages you might use.Â

Our Matlab compilation process will now use modules to load the version of Matlab used to compile. Otherwise the compilation process for Matlab is the same.Â

You can preview and use the new guides as linked from this page: http://chtc.cs.wisc.edu/howto_overview_new.shtmlÂ

The current guides will remain the âdefaultâ for the next two weeks. On Monday, October 21, we will archive the previous guides and replace their links with the new guides.Â

If you try out the new process, let us know if you have any questions or feedback at chtc@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Cheers,

The CHTC team