Reminder: HPC Cluster Downtime March 13-16; ALL HPC CLUSTER USER DATA WILL BE DELETED

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 17:12:17 -0600
From: chtc-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Reminder: HPC Cluster Downtime March 13-16; ALL HPC CLUSTER USER DATA WILL BE DELETED
Greetings HPC Cluster Users,
(those who only use the HTC System can ignore the below)

The HPC Cluster downtime is in one week. The cluster will be taken down and its filesystems completely erased and rebuilt next Tuesday, March 13. (See our previous notification on our user news page.)Â

In preparation

Filesystem contents must be completely deleted for the rebuild and cannot be saved for you by CHTC. This is consistent with our long-standing policies that you should have no data on the HPC Cluster that you have not already backed up elsewhere and that you are not actively running jobs with (including software).Â

If you have not already, transfer all of your data and software within /home to a non-CHTC location. Users waiting until the last minute will risk loss of data when we clear and rebuild the filesystem (if they haven't been properly backing up to a non-CHTC location, all along). We cannot postpone the downtime for such circumstances. Do not have more than one data transfer process occurring through the head nodes (aci-service-1 or aci-service-2) at a time.

Out of Service Dates

The cluster will be brought down on Tuesday, March 13th, and we expect that maintenance will be completed no later than Friday, March 16th. You will be informed via email (to this chtc-users mailing list) when the cluster is back up and ready to use.Â

After the Downtime

After the downtime, the new filesystem will include initial per-user quotas ofÂ100 GB of space and 10,000 file/directory counts. Researchers needing more than that amount for concurrently-running jobs and/or software files will need to consult with a Research Computing Facilitator viaÂchtc@xxxxxxxxxxxÂafter the downtime.Â

All CHTC-supported software modules (compilers, MPI versions, and licensed software) will be preserved and reinstated for identical use after the downtime. Software in your home directory that you've copied off of the cluster before the downtime can be reinstated within the same directory location (/home/username/etc).

We appreciate your action and planning in support of our work to minimize interruptions/downtime for all users of the HPC ClusterAs always, please send any questions toÂchtc@xxxxxxxxxxxÂ(rather than replying to this email list for all CHTC users).

Thank you!
Your CHTC Team, care of Christina Koch