[Chtc-users] Access more capacity on CHTC's HTC system

Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 12:37:26 -0500
From: chtc-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chtc-users] Access more capacity on CHTC's HTC system
Hello CHTC Users,

This email is for all users of our high throughput compute (HTC) system. If you only use our high performance cluster, you can disregard this email.Â

We are in the midst of upgrading our HTC system to a new version of Linux, to be mostly completed by the end of this calendar year. Most of our computers are still running Scientific Linux 6, but we now have a percentage of our pool that is running a newer version of Linux, CentOS 7. This has two implications for you:

1) Access more capacity in CHTC's HTC system by running on both operating systems. Typical job submissions (using Matlab, Python, R or compiled code) have run successfully on CentOS 7 for an initial set of test users and we would like to expand the group of people who are benefiting from running on both Scientific Linux 6 and CentOS 7! See this guide for instructions on joining in after an initial test of your jobs on CentOS 7:
2) If you want to use code that requires newer compilers or libraries that exist by default in CentOS 7 (and not in Scientific Linux 6), you can now compile on a new CentOS 7 compiling server by using the appropriate requirements in an interactive submit file. See our interactive compiling guide for details.Â

Questions or suggestions? We want to hear from you! Email us at chtc@xxxxxxxxxxx with any feedback about using CentOS 7 on the HTC system.Â

Cheers,
Your CHTC team