[Chtc-users] Down time on Tuesday to move to a new submit node

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 14:02:11 -0600
From: Kenneth Hahn <khahn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Chtc-users] Down time on Tuesday to move to a new submit node
Hello,

Thanks to all for reducing your disk usage down to quota and working
with the downtime that we have incurred so far.  Our (hopefully) last
down tine during the break between semesters is to occur on Tuesday the
17th.

This final down time will involve the transfer of all users from the
machine, submit.chtc.wisc.edu, to the machine, submit-1.chtc.wisc.edu.

We have outgrown the original submit node for CHTC.  We believe this new
machine will solve some of the scaling issues that we've had in the past.

There are some changes to be noted on the new machine.
1. There is no AFS client.
2. There is no Matlab on this submit. (There will be upcoming information on how to submit matlab compiles as condor jobs). 3. The operating system is Scientific Linux 5, making programs built on the submit node more likely to match versions of Linux on our clusters and on the Open Science Grid.

A number of new tools will be available for building software as condor jobs. For example, you will be easily able to build
R libraries and Compiled Matlab programs from any submit point
within CHTC using the new scripts.

For those running their own submit servers, we plan to provide an RPM containing these scripts.

We are in the process of adding a "How To" link off our CHTC website
offering tips and tools.

http://chtc.cs.wisc.edu/

Thank you for your cooperation,

CHTC Staff

--
Bill Taylor 608-263-2656 (608-219-4430)
Center for High Throughput Computing(CHTC)