[Chtc-users] Cooling problems @ CHTC B240 facility

Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 22:40:02 -0500
From: Ken Hahn <khahn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Chtc-users] Cooling problems @ CHTC B240 facility
Hi all,

Executive summary:

  Chilled water issues at the CS building require us to once again
  turn off CHTC compute nodes.

Detail:

  At 8:30 the UW Campus started having problems delivering
chilled water to at least the computer sciences building if not most of east campus (it's hard to get information right now). The situation has slowly worsened, delivering less and less water. This affects the main CHTC facility (room B240 in the UW-CS building) as that is our chilled water supply. We have verified this as a wider problem by comparing notes with the folks in the DoIT data-center, but have no estimate as to when the problem will be fixed.

Due to the hour and to avoid catastrophic overheating, we are shutting down the main compute capacity in the main CHTC facility.

We will keep the central manager, submit node, and a squid proxy running, so that jobs routed to the Open Science Grid can continue operation. We believe the building HVAC system can handle this small heat load if by no other method than supplying outside air.

  We will be sure to update you as we learn more and also
when the situation has been resolved. If you have any questions
or concerns about this process, please let us know. Be aware that beyond this being a weekend, there is a furlough day at the UW on Monday that may complicate resolution to this matter.

  We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,

-Ken Hahn