[AIRG] No meeting today

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 17:28:47 +0000
From: Aubrey Barnard <barnard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AIRG] No meeting today
AIRG,

There will not be an AIRG meeting again today because nobody volunteered.

<soapbox>
While I sent out a call for papers / posters / presentations /
participation yesterday, I would like to emphasize that AIRG only exists
because people volunteer. To get something out, you have to put
something in. And it doesn't have to be fancy or polished. Just pick
something and present it.
</soapbox>

If you need ideas, there are suggestions at https://wiscairg.github.io/.
Need more? Here's a paper that was mentioned to me just earlier this
week. It's a classic that is well worth revisiting and that I would like
to read and discuss:
http://papers.nips.cc/paper/2020-on-discriminative-vs-generative-classifiers-a-comparison-of-logistic-regression-and-naive-bayes

And then there's always the qualifying exam list:
http://aiqual.cs.wisc.edu/
You're guaranteed a relevant paper if you pick from that.

If you have any questions or doubts or reasons that you can't / won't
volunteer, I would very much like to hear about them. I can help! (And I
need to know the problems in order to make appropriate changes.)

I'm sorry that AIRG this semester is off to an empty start. I'm partly
to blame for not getting things moving earlier in January. And, while
I'm fine with filling gaps here and there, I can't do all the
presentations myself. (After all, this isn't the Aubrey show!)

I would again like to thank the few who have already volunteered. You
make this whole thing work!

Thanks for listening. (I'll shut up now and will not make any more mass
CFPs. It's now up to you all.) Hopefully I'll see you at AIRG soon.

Aubrey