[AIRG] Causal discovery, generalizations of mutual information

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 00:22:38 +0000
From: Aubrey Barnard <barnard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AIRG] Causal discovery, generalizations of mutual information
AIRG,

It seems like there was interest in learning more about discovering
causality in observational [1] data. For those who are interested, I can
suggest Judea Pearl's book on causality:

https://search.library.wisc.edu/catalog/9910129159702121
https://www.amazon.com/Causality-Reasoning-Inference-Judea-Pearl/dp/052189560X/

It treats causal discovery as Bayesian network structure learning.
(Bayesian networks and other probabilistic graphical models are covered
in most introductory machine learning books [2], although not all
mention causality.)

The other main approach to causal discovery is observational studies.
The primary difference is that structure learning jointly learns the
structure of many variables whereas observational studies are limited to
pairs of variables (and their covariates), but observational studies
have better causal guarantees.

Also, Lucas said he would send me some resources on generalizations of
mutual information. I will pass them on if he doesn't just send them to
the whole list.

Causal discovery in observational data is the overarching topic of my
research, so I would be happy to give a tutorial if there is interest.
(Let me know personally.)

Aubrey

[1] As opposed to experimental / interventional data where one has
control over some of the variables.

[2] Such as:
https://search.library.wisc.edu/catalog/9910317322702121
https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Learning-Probabilistic-Perspective-Computation/dp/0262018020/