[AIRG] Higher-arity mutual information

Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 10:45:04 -0600
From: Lucas Morton <lamorton@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AIRG] Higher-arity mutual information
Hi all,
Here are the references I've found on extending measures of redundancy/information beyond two variables using the concept of the maximum-entropy distribution subject to N-variable marginal distributions (N>1). Interestingly, this wheel has been invented several times. [1]Â

There are two kinds of papers: those (by Amari and by Schniedman et al) that constrained all the marginals up to order N, and those that constrained proper subsets of the marginals up to a given order. Of the latter group, Bertschinger et al and Griffith & Koch approached the issue by considering two-variable marginals, with one variable always being the designated 'target' variable. Cavallo & Pittarelli, while presenting a more general framework, did not make connections outside the realm of databases.
  • Cavallo, R.; Pittarelli, M. "The Theory of Probabilistic Databases" Proceedings of the 13th VLDB Conference, Brighton (1987)
    • www.vldb.org/conf/1987/P071.PDF
    • The probabilistic database join is equivalent to finding the maximum-entropy distribution subject to a set of marginal distributions.
  • Shun-ichi Amari, "Information Geometry on Hierarchy of Probability
    Distributions," IEEE Trans. Info. Theory 47, 1701 (2001)
  • Schneidman et al, "Network Information and Connected Correlations," Phys. Rev. Let. 91, 238701 (2003).
  • Griffith, V.; Koch, C. Quantifying synergistic mutual information. arXiv:1205.4265 (2013).
  • Bertschinger et al,"Quantifying unique information," Entropy 16, 2161 (2014).
Many of the references within are worth reading for background. The Beer-Williams "Partial Information Decomposition" and McGill's (non-positive) "interaction information" are other attempts to construct a multivariate generalization of mutual information.

[1] (...whereas Newton could say, "If I have seen a little farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants," I am forced to say, "Today we stand on each other's feet." - Richard Hamming)
Lucas A. Morton
Research Associate
Department of Engineering Physics
University of Wisconsin - Madison