[theory students] FW: Frontiers in complexity theory (upcoming DIMACS event)

Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 12:07:55 +0000
From: Dieter van Melkebeek <dieter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [theory students] FW: Frontiers in complexity theory (upcoming DIMACS event)

FYI…  -- Dieter

From: roei tell <roeitell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, May 2, 2024 at 14:00
To: Dieter van Melkebeek <dieter@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Dieter,

I hope you're doing well!

Lijie Chen, Ryan Williams and I are organizing a complexity event for grad students this summer at DIMACS. Can I ask for your help in advertizing this at UW Madison?

Many thanks!

Roei

Frontiers in complexity theory: A DIMACS summer event

This summer DIMACS will hold an advanced workshop for graduate students in complexity theory! Our goal is to bring together up-and-coming complexity researchers and to introduce students to some recent exciting lines of research in the field.

Workshop attendance does not require specific prior knowledge, beyond interest in complexity theory and mathematical maturity. In particular, the workshop is also open to strong students working in other areas of theoretical computer science who are interested in learning more about recent complexity research. Strong undergraduate students may also be considered.

The workshop will include these events:

* Keynote lectures by Avi Wigderson (IAS) and Ryan Williams (MIT)

* Four tutorial-style lecture series, which will assume very little prior knowledge but are intended to reach recent exciting developments:

1. Meta-complexity, taught by Rahul Ilango (MIT)

2. Error-correcting codes, taught by Swastik Kopparty (U Toronto)

3. Algebraic complexity, taught by Nutan Limaye (IT University of Copenhagen)

4. Derandomization, taught by Roei Tell (U Toronto)

* A presentation of the new C^3 locally testable code, by Lijie Chen (UC Berkeley)

There will also be small-group discussions, social events, and more!

The size of the event is limited -- please visit http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/events/details?eID=2785 for instructions about applying.

See you there!

Lijie Chen, Roei Tell, Ryan Williams