[theory students] Theory seminar next Wednesday: Thodoris Lykouris

Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2018 10:18:51 -0500
From: Shuchi Chawla <shuchi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [theory students] Theory seminar next Wednesday: Thodoris Lykouris
Hi all,

Our next theory seminar is scheduled for next Wednesday Oct 10, noon-1 pm in CS 4310. Thodoris Lykouris, a student of Eva Tardos at Cornell, will speak about some recent work from NIPS'18 on fairness in machine learning. See details below.

Bring your own lunch. We will have cookies and coffee.

See you there!
Shuchi

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 -
12:00pmÂtoÂ1:00pm
CS 4310
Thodoris Lykouris
Cornell University

The emergence of online marketplaces has facilitated adaptive data collection but has also led to the need of adaptive decision making to counter non-stochastic patterns in the data. On the other hand, ethical concerns such as how to avoid discrimination have been only studied assuming that the input is i.i.d. In this paper, we explore the interplay between adaptivity and non-discrimination by studying the design of online learning algorithms that, when run on members of different groups, do not discriminate against some group. We consider the most basic question in such a setting: how can...ÂRead More