Re: [theory students] [theory faculty] what is a reasonable encoding?

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 21:10:26 +0000
From: Shuchi Chawla <shuchi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [theory students] [theory faculty] what is a reasonable encoding?
I agree with Jin-Yi -- it's the responsibility of the user to make sure the theorem makes sense for the given encoding. Letting information theory be the guide makes sense. In many settings, one can find better encodings than the standard ones, although usually not exponentially better.Â

Here's one example I recently talked about in my class on algorithms for massive datasets. In that context even polynomial improvements in encoding length matter. To encode the shortest paths metric over a graph, you would need to specify the lengths of all |E| edges, or an encoding with O(n^2) "words" for dense graphs. But if the graph is over geometric data, e.g. points in Euclidean space, then there is an O(n) encoding that just specifies the locations of the points, and you compute distances as needed.

Shuchi