[theory students] Theory seminar: action needed

Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2017 21:25:28 +0000
From: Shuchi Chawla <shuchi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [theory students] Theory seminar: action needed
Hi all,

This is a follow-up on the discussion we had at the theory mixer regarding having students speak at the theory seminar. We, the theory faculty, believe that having the students speak at the seminar provides an invaluable opportunity for you to improve your presentation skills, get feedback on your work, and get ready for the job market as well as conference talks.

We would therefore like all "senior" theory students to give a talk at the theory seminar at least once every academic year. Here "senior" student refers to every student who has passed the theory qual and is currently working on research with one of the theory faculty. While this is not a requirement, it is very strongly encouraged. Thesis proposals and defenses count.Â

Talks do not have to be about your own original work, however, you are encouraged to spend effort towards making a professional polished talk. Of course, we would be very happy to have you give a talk more than once. And "junior" students and all other members of our community (postdocs, faculty) are encouraged to consider giving talks as well!

I have created an internal calendar to sign up for theory seminars for AY 2017-18. Please sign yourself up here:Âhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y1NFXrntNcofY2s4uBHWfaRj0-CFpqgQXGvo-bpgIqE/edit?usp=sharing

By default, the seminar will be held on Fridays at 2:30-3:30 PM, although other times may work out fine on occasion.

Thanks
Shuchi