[madPL] 4/14 Social Tomorrow! & 4/17 Seminar: Abtin Molavi

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 23:11:44 +0000
From: LAUREN MARIE NEUDORF <lneudorf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [madPL] 4/14 Social Tomorrow! & 4/17 Seminar: Abtin Molavi
Hello Everyone,

Just a reminder that we are having an event at the Terrace tomorrow at 3:30pm! Like Loris mentioned it will feature a number of cool things:
 - Celebrating Anna Meyer's FAccT23 paper and Amanda Xu + Abtin Molavi PLDI23 paper
- @Jiangyi Liu is visiting Madison and the madPL group to decide where to go for his PhD
- Prospective faculty Kexin Pei:(https://sites.google.com/site/kexinpeisite/) this is his second visit to Madison to see if he wants to join our department and will join our social!

A possible topic to chat about will be ChatGPT and cool things we can do in PL with it! We'll be outside with food and maybe a board game or two! Hope you can attend!

Additionally, next Monday's seminar will feature Abtin Molavi, who will be presenting on "Fault-tolerant Quantum Compilation". Like always, it is in room 3310 (or on zoom) and will be at 1:05pm! His abstract is below for further reading!

Abstract:

"Quantum computation promises to surpass classical methods in optimization and simulation with the potential to unlock breakthroughs in materials science, chemistry, machine learning and beyond. Since individual physical quantum bits (qubits) and quantum operations are error-prone, these large-scale applications require an error-correction scheme for detecting and correcting faults. One of the most well-studied type of error correction schemes is a surface code, where the state of a logical qubit is distributed across a region of a lattice of physical qubits. However, computation with surface code qubits is limited by spatial contention constraints. Specifically, certain operations called CNOT and T gates temporarily occupy a "path" consisting of physical qubits such that simultaneous paths cannot cross. Therefore, a compiler must carefully place logical qubits and schedule gates in time and space to avoid significant runtime overhead. We refer to the task of minimizing this overhead as the surface code compilation problem. In this talk, I will give a brief introduction to surface code quantum computation and then describe our current work towards solving the surface code compilation problem."

Best,

Lauren Neudorf
Program Manager, MadPL Research Group
University of Wisconsin-Madison