[madPL] PL Seminar Tomorrow

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 18:02:02 +0000
From: JOHN CYPHERT <jcyphert@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [madPL] PL Seminar Tomorrow
Hi Everyone,

We will be having a PL seminar tomorrow Oct 30, at 1pm. Our own Zach Susag will lead a discussion on the paper Liquid Information Flow Control.

Here is the abstract for the paper:

We present Lifty, a domain-specific language for data-centric applications that manipulate sensitive data. A
Lifty programmer annotates the sources of sensitive data with declarative security policies, and the language
statically and automatically verifies that the application handles the data according to the policies. Moreover,
if verification fails, Lifty suggests a provably correct repair, thereby easing the programmer burden of
implementing policy enforcing code throughout the application.

The main insight behind Lifty is to encode information flow control using liquid types, an expressive yet
decidable type system. Liquid types enable fully automatic checking of complex, data dependent policies,
and power our repair mechanism via type-driven error localization and patch synthesis. Our experience
using Lifty to implement three case studies from the literature shows that (1) the Lifty policy language is
sufficiently expressive to specify many real-world policies, (2) the Lifty type checker is able to verify secure
programs and find leaks in insecure programs quickly, and (3) even if the programmer leaves out all policy
enforcing code, the Lifty repair engine is able to patch all leaks automatically within a reasonable time.

See you tomorrow,
John

Join Zoom Meeting
https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/97079120314?pwd=UFN3c3lDcWlieWdqdjVUNnk4aVZXUT09

Meeting ID: 970 7912 0314
Passcode: 790380
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,97079120314#,,,,,,0#,,790380# US (New York)
+13017158592,,97079120314#,,,,,,0#,,790380# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)