Re: [madPL] Anthony Lin PL Seminar

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 15:28:45 -0500
From: "Loris D'Antoni" <loris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [madPL] Anthony Lin PL Seminar
Everyone, please note that tomorrow's seminar is at the unusual time of 10am.

-Loris

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 11:30 AM JOHN CYPHERT <pl-seminar-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We will be having a PL seminar on WednesdayÂAugust 12, atÂ10am (note the nonstandard time).ÂAnthony Lin from theÂUniversity of Kaiserslautern will talk to us about verification of string manipulating programs.

Here is the abstract for the talk:

Strings are among the most fundamental and commonly used data types in modern programming languages. Heavy string manipulations in programs often lead to mistakes, some of which could have serious security consequences (e.g. cross-site scripting). This gives rise to the currently active research area of algorithmic verification of string-manipulating programs. As is standard in software model checking, one crucial problem is to come up with an appropriate string theory and a decision procedure for it. This is because in theory a software model checker could then use standard methods (e.g. symbolic execution) to lift the decision procedure from formulas to programs. In this talk, I will describe the challenges of the design of a good string theory and decision procedure for the theory, as well as some existing attempts towards them, including our framework of âstraight-line logicâ and OSTRICH string solver. In particular, this is a tricky problem because there are many string operations that one would like to include as a primitive operation (especially from the point of view of techniques like symbolic execution), but at the same time they easily lead to undecidability.

The results presented came from a series of recent papers (POPLâ16, POPLâ18, and POPLâ19) with Pablo Barcelo, Taolue Chen, Yan Chen, Matthew Hague, Lukas Holik, Petr Janku, Rupak Majumdar, Philipp Ruemmer, and Tomas Vojnar.

We'll send out another reminder on Wednesday morning.
John

Topic: madPL seminar
Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 859 451 761
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,859451761# US (New York)
+13017158592,,859451761# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location
    +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
    +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
    +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)