Re: [pl-seminar] PL-Arch Discussion on Spectre & Meltdown

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 19:02:31 +0000
From: MICHAEL VAUGHN <mvaughn@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [pl-seminar] PL-Arch Discussion on Spectre & Meltdown
I'm interested.
From: Pl-seminar <pl-seminar-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Mark D. Hill <markhill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 6:32:49 AM
To: pl-seminar@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Mikko Lipasti; Matt Sinclair; Michael Swift; Joshua San Miguel
Subject: [pl-seminar] Fwd: PL-Arch Discussion on Spectre & Meltdown

Dear MadPL:

Is there interest in having a discussion on Spectre and Meltdown that use intentional processor core mis-speculation to exfiltrate protected information on almost all computers including your laptop and phone? Here is a formal PL paper from Google we could discuss:

Spectre is here to stay An analysis of side-channels and speculative execution
https://arxiv.org/abs/1902.05178v1

I know it’s formal, as it has Greek letters with Greek-letter subscripts. :-) Thanks to Mike Swift for finding it.

Also here is a practical introduction to the problem and the gist of current mitigation strategies that I co-wrote for IEEE Micro, so it might assume more architecture than everyone knows.

On the Spectre and Meltdown Processor Security Vulnerabilities

Mark D. Hill, http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~markhill
John P. Morgridge Prof. and Gene M. Amdahl Prof. of CS
Computer Sciences Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Chair, Computing Community Consortium, http://cra.org/ccc/