[pl-seminar] Seminar and Faculty candidates talks

Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 15:16:52 -0600
From: "Loris D'Antoni" <loris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Seminar and Faculty candidates talks
Hi everyone,

Heping will soon send an email around to restart the PL-seminar. As usual, you should sign up.

As some of you noticed, we are interviewing faculty candidates. This means that, more or less, every Monday and Thursday at 4 pm there will be a talk by such candidates in CS 1240.
You are strongly encouraged to attend these talks.

Why? Glad you asked.
  1. This is a great way to see what a job talk looks like.
  2. These talks are very good ways to access fields that you typically don't know about. The talks are typically accessible to a non-expert audience and the applicants typically show their best work!
  3. Sometimes you can get ideas that might apply to your work! Believe it or not, this happened to me when I was a PhD student.
  4. There are cookies.
I hope to see you in CS1240 today at 4 pm and, in general, at future talks.

Cheers,
-Loris