[pl-seminar] ASE Practice Talk -- Aug. 30 (Tuesday) @ 3pm in 5331

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 12:10:56 -0500
From: Peter Ohmann <ohmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] ASE Practice Talk -- Aug. 30 (Tuesday) @ 3pm in 5331
Hello,

I will be giving a practice talk for ASE next Tuesday, Aug. 30, at 3pm in CS 5331. If you are able to attend, I would very much value your feedback. See the abstract below.

The talk will last approximately 22 minutes with questions following.

Thank you,
Peter

---

Title:ÂOptimizing Customized Program Coverage
Time: Tuesday Aug. 30 @ 3pm
Location: CS5331

Program coverage is used across many stages of software
development. While common during testing, program coverage has also
found use outside the test lab, in production software. However, production
software has stricter requirements on run-time overheads, and may limit possible
program instrumentation. Thus, optimizing the placement of probes to gather
program coverage is important.

We introduce and study the problem of customized program coverage optimization.
We generalize previous work that optimizes for complete coverage
instrumentation with a system that adapts optimization to customizable
program coverage requirements. Specifically, our system allows a user to
specify desired coverage locations and to limit legal instrumentation locations.
We prove that the problem of determining optimal coverage probes is NP-hard, and
we present a solution based on mixed integer linear programming. Due to the
computational complexity of the problem, we also provide two practical
approximation approaches. We evaluate the effectiveness of our approximations
across a diverse set of benchmarks, and show that our techniques can
substantially reduce instrumentation while allowing the user immense freedom in
defining coverage requirements. When naive instrumentation is dense or
expensive, our optimizations succeed in lowering execution time overheads.