[pl-seminar] PL Seminar tomorrow

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 15:55:32 -0600
From: Aws Albarghouthi <aws@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] PL Seminar tomorrow
Hello all,

Tomorrow at the PL seminar (noon, CS4310) I will be talking aboutÂ

"Proving that Programs Do not Discriminate"

Given a program that is making an important decision that may disparately impact a group of people, e.g., a protected minority, we want to prove that the program is fair. For instance, if the program is making a hiring decision, we want to prove that the probability with which it hires a minority applicant is very close to that of hiring a majority applicant. You may be thinking: What does this mean? How do you formalize such properties? How do you verify them? What would a proof or counterexample look like? Will your techniques impact public policy? Will your techniques usher in a new era of fairness and equality for all? To know the answer to these questions and more, attend the talk tomorrow.

This is preliminary work with Loris D'Antoni, Sam Drews, and Aditya Nori (MSR).

See you tomorrow,