[pl-seminar] CC 2014 Practice Talk -- April 2 (Wednesday) @ 2 pm in CS 5331

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 13:25:32 -0500
From: Venkatesh Karthik Srinivasan <venk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] CC 2014 Practice Talk -- April 2 (Wednesday) @ 2 pm in CS 5331
Hi,

I will be giving a practice talk for CC 2014 at 2 pm on Wednesday (April 2) in CS 5331. If you are able to attend the talk, I would very much appreciate your feedback. Please see the abstract below.
The duration of the talk is 20 minutes, followed by 5 minutes of questions.

Venkatesh

Title: Recovery of Class Hierarchies and Composition Relationships from Machine Code
Time: Wednesday, April 2 @ 2PM
Location: CS 5331

Abstract:
In this paper, we present a reverse-engineering tool, called Lego, which recovers class hierarchies and composition relationships from stripped binaries. Lego takes a stripped binary as input, and uses information obtained from dynamic analysis to (i) group the functions in the binary into classes, and (ii) identify inheritance and composition relationships between the inferred classes. The software artifacts recovered by Lego can be subsequently used to understand the object-oriented design of software systems that lack documentation and source code, e.g., to enable interoperability. Our experiments show that the class hierarchies recovered by Lego have a high degree of agreement -- measured in terms of precision and recall -- with the hierarchy defined in the source code.