[pl-seminar] ASE Practice Talk -- Nov. 8 (Friday) @ 3pm in 5331

Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 09:28:11 -0600
From: Peter Ohmann <ohmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] ASE Practice Talk -- Nov. 8 (Friday) @ 3pm in 5331
Hello,

I will be giving a practice talk for ASE this Friday, Nov. 8, at 3pm in CS 5331.  If you are able to attend, I would very much value your feedback.  See the abstract below.

The talk will last approximately 20 minutes with questions following.

Thank you,
Peter

---

Title: Lightweight Control-Flow Instrumentation and Postmortem Analysis in Support of Debugging
Time: Friday Nov. 8 @ 3pm
Location: CS5331

      Debugging is difficult and costly.  As a human programmer looks
      for a bug, it would be helpful to see a complete trace of events
      leading to the point of failure.  Unfortunately, full tracing is
      simply too slow to use in deployment, and may even be
      impractical during testing.

      We aid post-deployment debugging by giving programmers
      additional information about program activity shortly before
      failure.  We use latent information in post-failure memory
      dumps, augmented by low-overhead, tunable run-time tracing.  Our
      results with a realistically-tuned tracing scheme show low
      enough overhead (0–5%) to be used in production runs.  We
      demonstrate several potential uses of this enhanced information,
      including a novel postmortem static slice restriction technique
      and a reduced view of potentially-executed code.  Experimental
      evaluation shows our approach to be very effective, such as
      shrinking interprocedural slices by 49–78% in larger
      applications.