[pl-seminar] Reminder: Madhusudan seminar at 4:00 PM in 4310 CS

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:59:17 -0500
From: Thomas Reps <reps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Reminder: Madhusudan seminar at 4:00 PM in 4310 CS

4:00 pm, 4310 CS
Programming Languages Seminar: P. Madhusudan, Dept. of Computer Science,  Univ.
   of Illinois, "The role of automata theory in software verification"

   The  80s  and  90s saw a revolution in hardware verification, where automata
   theory played a prominent role, formalizing model-checking and  establishing
   tte  basis  of  verification  using  the logic-automata connection. However,
   these applications of automata theory are not as compelling in software ver-
   ification.  As  we  shift focus to software verification, we ask how exactly
   would automata theory be useful in program analysis.

   Drawing from work in recent years in software verification  in  my  research
   ggoup  as well as the field, I will identify several key areas, ranging from
   modeling, abstraction, model-checking, interface synthesis, testing, to log-
   ical  reasoning with dynamic data-structures, where automata theory promises
   to provide the right abstractions and  yield  effective  tools  for  program
   analysis.