[pl-seminar] Practice talk 7-18-05

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:25:02 -0500
From: Nick Kidd <kidd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Practice talk 7-18-05
Hello,

I will be giving a presentation tomorrow morning at 10 am in room 2351. This is a practice talk for an upcoming visit to MSR. The talk length is ~ 45 minutes. Any feedback will be appreciated. Cookies will be served.

Thanks,
-Nick

Title:
Model-Checking Concurrent Message-Passing C Programs with Recursive Calls

Abstract:

We extend the model-checker MAGIC so that it can handle concurrent recursive programs. We model such programs using "communicating pushdown systems", and reduce the reachability problem for this model to deciding the emptiness of the intersection of two context free languages L1 and L2. We tackle this undecidable problem using a Counter Example Guided Abstraction Refinement (CEGAR) scheme based on (1) computing over-approximations A1 and A2 of L1 and L2, (2) checking if the intersection of A1 and A2 is non-empty, and if the non-empty intersection represents an infeasible trace, (3) refining these overapproximations A1 and A2. Finally, we impart lessons learned from implementing our system.

This is joint work with Sagar Chaki, Edmund Clarke, Thomas Reps, and Tayssir Touili.