[pl-seminar] Talk reminder (note non-standard day, room change)

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:19:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: Will Benton <willb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Talk reminder (note non-standard day, room change)
I'm giving a talk today at 4:00 PM in 1325 on identifying implicit
concurrency in object-oriented programs.

Title:     Identifying Class-Level Parallelism in Object-Oriented
Programs
Abstract:  The increasing availability of desktop workstations with
single-chip parallel processors (such as SMT or CMP designs) presents
both a challenge and an opportunity for improved software performance.
Typical desktop workloads are single-threaded, and conventional
multiprogramming is a bad fit for SMT and CMP chips, in which
synchronization and thread creation are cheap but threads must compete
for on-chip resources.  A static compiler that could extract implicit
fine-grained parallelism from serial end-user applications would ensure
that such applications utilized available hardware contexts more fully.
 We identify "class-level parallelism" and "creation parallelism," two
types of implicit parallelism that are prevalent in object-oriented
programs, and describe our techniques for identifying where such
concurrency obtains.  We then discuss empirical results:  even given a
fairly conservative safety analysis, between 20-85% of SPECjvm
benchmark execution time can be ascribed to code that may safely
execute in parallel with the rest of the program.  (Joint work with
Charles Fischer.)

best,
wb
---